Effective Actions Against Land Grabbing
9C Land grabbing cases where corrective action was taken against violators
Calculation Based on Existing Data
This indicator looks at the number of large-scale land acquisitions (LSLA) involving conflict (from of 9B.1) that were *concluded* and identifies where 1) compensation was received and 2) where action was taken against violators.
For this indicator (and 9B.1), we have defined LSLA according to the definition used by partner initiative Land Matrix, as the acquisition of any tract of land larger than 200 hectares that meets each of the following criteria:
- Entails the transfer of rights to use, control or own land through sale, lease or concession.
- Signed sometime since the year 2000, when the annualized value of the FAO Real Food Price Index was at its lowest.
- Entails the conversion of land from local community use or from important ecosystem-service provision to commercial production.
For this indicator, you will need four data points:
- Total number of large-scale land acquisitions (LSLA) since the year 2000 (from indicator 9B.1, Block 1)
- Total number of LSLA since the year 2000 where some compensatory action was taken.
- Total number of LSLA since the year 2000 where conflict was present (from indicator 9B.1, Block 2)
- Total number of LSLA since the year 2000 where action (one or more) was taken against violators.
For many countries, data for this indicator will be available through Land Matrix. We recommend using this site as a starting point, though any source of data can be used.
Answers you enter into this form will be saved in your browser, to help if you need to pause while completing the form.
Your answers will only be saved into your current browser and on your current device. If you're using Safari, data will be deleted after 7 days.
Some answers have been saved from a previous session.
Continue completing the form with the saved answers or click the button below to clear the form and start again.